IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please do not ask for support here, post in the appropriate forum. Shoutbox can only be used by members only, click here to join

Παρακαλώ μην ζητήστε την υποστήριξη εδώ, παρακαλώ να ρωτήσετε στο σχετικό τμήμα.Το Shoutbox μπορεί μόνο να χρησιμοποιηθεί από τα μέλη μόνο. Χτυπήστε εδώ για να γίνετε μέλη.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Byzantine Army - The Greek-only Units
Nikoz78
post Apr 19 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Atzamis

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,152

I did not see a forum for Medieval Greek history, and although the Byzantine Empire is indeed ancient, I am going to post this in "modern Greek history" so as not to confuse it with ancient Greece. Many historians cite the middle Byzantine era as the beginning of modern Greek history anyway.

I actually have a question:

The Eastern Roman Empire was Greek ruled and populated, but their army was largely made up of mercenaries (foreign soldiers). Does anyone know the name of the Greek-only units that made up part of the Byzantine Army? I read about it once but now cannot remember. I'd like to learn more about these units.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EOKA ASSASSIN
post Apr 22 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Professional Poster

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

QUOTE (Nikoz78 @ Apr 19 2008, 04:11 AM) *
I did not see a forum for Medieval Greek history, and although the Byzantine Empire is indeed ancient, I am going to post this in "modern Greek history" so as not to confuse it with ancient Greece. Many historians cite the middle Byzantine era as the beginning of modern Greek history anyway.

I actually have a question:

The Eastern Roman Empire was Greek ruled and populated, but their army was largely made up of mercenaries (foreign soldiers). Does anyone know the name of the Greek-only units that made up part of the Byzantine Army? I read about it once but now cannot remember. I'd like to learn more about these units.

here's some:

Akritoi
Akrites (plural Akritoi or Akritai) were defenders of the Anatolian borders of the Empire. They appeared after either the Arab conquests, or much later when Turkish tribes raided Anatolia from the east. The Akritoi units were formed from native Greeks living near the eastern borders. Whether such men were really soldier-farmers or lived on rents from smallholdings while concentrating on their military duties is still a matter of debate. The Akritoi were probably mostly light troops, armed with bows and javelins. They were most adept at defensive warfare, often against raiding Turkish light horsemen in the Anatolian mountains, but could also cover the advance of the regular Byzantine army. Their tactics probably consisted of skirmishing and ambushes in order to catch the fast-moving Turkish horsearchers.

This post has been edited by EOKA ASSASSIN: Apr 22 2008, 12:41 PM

--------------------

...Greek Nationalist Guerilla Group E.O.K.A...

...its leader Colonel George Grivas...

...E.O.K.A. gunman ''the Turk killer'' Nicos Sampson...

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 04:16 AM

Collapse

> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]

Blue and White Army Hightekhosting Greek Nationalist Serb Hellenic forums Greek Military Hellas Macedonian.com.au Ν.1 BLOG ΤΗΣ ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗΣ Ιστόχωρος του Πολιτιστικού Συλλόγου &quo Macedonia Greece Blogspot History of Macedonia