IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please do not ask for support here, post in the appropriate forum. Shoutbox can only be used by members only, click here to join

Παρακαλώ μην ζητήστε την υποστήριξη εδώ, παρακαλώ να ρωτήσετε στο σχετικό τμήμα.Το Shoutbox μπορεί μόνο να χρησιμοποιηθεί από τα μέλη μόνο. Χτυπήστε εδώ για να γίνετε μέλη.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snakes Of Markopoulo
Guest_Mini_Twilight_*
post Apr 28 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Guests

On August 15 every year, in the village of Markopoulo in Kefalonia, hundreds if not thousands of snakes slither into a particular church and crawl all over the icon of the Virgin Mary, then they leave and disappear until the next year.

Thoughts on this mystery?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nate
post Apr 28 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Super Moderator

Group: Members
Member No.: 156

Proof the Orthodox Church is evil, according to Christian values. The serpents represent evil. Only evil can house evil laugh.gif

but seriously, around that time their food source probably migrates and they migrate with it - crossing the path of this particular building.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mafia
post Apr 28 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #3

Atzamis

Member No.: 137

mini its funny you bring this up my gf was telling me about this yesterday and i was blown away i never heard of such things like this untill she told me i was skeptical about it but now that u bring this up it must have some truth to it i thought it was a mith nothing else its spooky but very holy at the same time. i believe in god and all hes doings even tho ive sinned more than the entire population of sydney its just a miracle in discise

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kat_La
post Apr 29 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #4

Professional Poster

Member No.: 242

The Church of the Virgin Mary Lagouvarda

Situated in the village of Markopoulos, the church of the Virgin Mary Lagouvarda was built on the site where a monastery that had been destroyed by the Turks used to stand. Legend says that in 1705 the monastery was attacked by pirates and the frightened nuns prayed the Virgin to turn them into snakes in order to escape from the cruelty of the pirates. Their prayers were answered and, at the sight of the snakes, the pirates run away; since then, the nuns-snakes return each year to the monastery, bringing good luck and prosperity to the village. This legend explains the phenomenon that happens every August the 15th, on the Virgin Mary’s feast day: a large number of harmless snakes come around the monastery just for this day and then disappear.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Kat_La: Apr 29 2007, 06:45 PM

--------------------
Lois: Guess I'm a sucker for stray dogs and naked men. Okay, that didn't come out right...

+Quote Post
k0ukz23Q
post Apr 30 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #5

= MiZ BaLLbReAkA =

Member No.: 4

wow that's interesting.. it's the first time of heard of it though.

--------------------
= INDULGE MOTORSPORTS =

+Quote Post
Kat_La
post Apr 30 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #6

Professional Poster

Member No.: 242

I remember reading about this at Greek school when we were given an article about Kefalonia. I think it's amazing.

--------------------
Lois: Guess I'm a sucker for stray dogs and naked men. Okay, that didn't come out right...

+Quote Post
Guest_Mini_Twilight_*
post Apr 30 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #7

Guests

They show it every year on Ant1, the snakes crawl all over the people in the church, they're not even phased by them at all.

I have a theory that it has something to do with vibrations and other forces, but I haven't really looked into it too much, it's still in the preliminary stages....(leave my nerdiness alone!)

+Quote Post
Shorty
post Jul 26 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #8

>>GP Kyprea

Group: Super Moderators
Member No.: 95

iv seen heaps of videos on this, i think it just shows how holy the Virgin Mary is, its almost as if the snakes are comming to visit her at her church, and they are indeed harmless on this day.

+Quote Post
Sam
post Jul 26 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #9

Greekplanet P Plater

Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(ShOrTy @ Jul 26 2007, 06:09 PM) [snapback]101360[/snapback]

iv seen heaps of videos on this, i think it just shows how holy the Virgin Mary is, its almost as if the snakes are comming to visit her at her church, and they are indeed harmless on this day.

They're normally poisonous, but nobody has been bitten by these snakes on the day. Apparantly they also have a sign of a cross on their heads as well (there is a story behind that too, but I don't recall it at the moment)

As for a previous comment that the snake is a symbol of 'evil', that's completely false. The church never teaches that the snake is evil, and God never created the snake to be evil. It's just that the devil used the snake to do his deed, and ever since we as humans may have associated the snake with 'evil'.

+Quote Post
nate
post Jul 26 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #10

Super Moderator

Member No.: 156

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That is all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pat__
post Jul 27 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #11

Professional Poster

Member No.: 410

yes that's really amazing.. but come on people, where is the logic in that?

i think its ridiculous how u all think its some great mystery. its not plausible. someone is playing a hoax... just like all those weeping statues of mary around the world!

im with nate laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

and that's more so at the people's comments in response to this thread rather then the snakes on the icon.

speaking of snakes i really want one as a pet!!

+Quote Post
Sam
post Jul 27 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #12

Greekplanet P Plater

QUOTE(Pat__ @ Jul 27 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]101420[/snapback]

yes that's really amazing.. but come on people, where is the logic in that?

i think its ridiculous how u all think its some great mystery. its not plausible. someone is playing a hoax... just like all those weeping statues of mary around the world!

im with nate laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

and that's more so at the people's comments in response to this thread rather then the snakes on the icon.

speaking of snakes i really want one as a pet!!

That's right,...somethings just can't be explained by "logic" alone. And no one is saying that it's a "mystery" either- but rather, a miracle... (for those of you that this word may have no meaning, you may now go ahead and laugh, that's fine...)

There are many "unusual" events like this one, none of which will ever make sense with "logic"... the snakes of Kefalonia is just one of them. ( Others include the sounds coming from the tomb of St Nectarios, the preservation and aromas emanating from, of several relics of saints to this very day, the Holy Light during Easter in Jerusalem etc)

+Quote Post
athineos
post Aug 8 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #13

Greekplanet P Plater

Member No.: 1,274

has anyone ever though that the church puts the there each year on that day?

+Quote Post
Sam
post Aug 9 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #14

Greekplanet P Plater

QUOTE(athineos @ Aug 8 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]102217[/snapback]

has anyone ever though that the church puts the there each year on that day?

The church does no such thing... the snakes slither their way to the icon before the church service and leave again, on their own, after the service. There are many to have witnessed this... my godparents included.

They're normally poisonous, but harm noone while surrounding the icon (people kiss the icon without being bitten).... but they will retaliate once they return back into the shrubs

+Quote Post
Dj Petros
post Aug 9 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #15

Greekplanet P Plater

Member No.: 116

Last year when i went to Greece for my 21'st Birthday holiday.

I made it a priority to see some of the many wonders of the Greek orthodox history....

KEFALONIA..... during the festive month of Ta Fithyia Tis Panayias and Ayios Gerasimos celebrations. smile.gif

Its funny this topic popped up....

Because i am a great believer of this Historical Event smile.gif

And this would have to be one of the most memorable experiences ive ever had as a Greek Orthodox!

The fithyia were everywere (15 or so) in the church on ikones..... outside...... in peoples hands.

It was absolutely amazing!!! smile.gif

I ever to manage to capture some brilliant photos.... especially one were one of the Fithyia Tis Panayias flicks its tongue onto my lip as i go in for a kiss ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I even saw the cross that is between their eyes that shows they are the real holy snakes tis panayias.!

I walked away smilling knowing i had seen something truelly amazing and religiously fulfilling.

All i have to say is.....

Believe.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
forbidden fruit
post Aug 10 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #16

Greekplanet Star

Member No.: 39

cool pics

--------------------
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
[center]If LiFeS a WaStE oF tImE tHeN tImEs A wAsTe Of LiFe So LeTs GeT WASTED aNd HaVe ThE tImE oF oUr LiFe!!!
[/center]

+Quote Post
sextoyjimi
post Aug 28 2007, 06:05 PM
Post #17

Greekplanet P Plater

Member No.: 386

My god dj petros how did you ever manage to tame that fearsome beast? It must be through some miracle of God!

This post has been edited by sextoyjimi: Aug 28 2007, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
Russel
post Dec 30 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #18

Professional Poster

Member No.: 423

the snake represents the Devil.

and apparently according to the "good" book,so does the DRAGON.

if i remember my scriptures correctly,the Dragon will come back with Seven heads which will represent the apocolypse...

Dragons and Snakes represent the DEVIL or Satan or the Anti Christ.

of course the Snakes are not evil...neither is the Devil if u seriously examine the Devil...they are made out to be "evil" by a religion that needs to find scapegoats..for the inaction and stupidity of the Jewish God...

+Quote Post
Google Bot

Google Ads

Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 04:58 AM

Collapse

> Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]

Blue and White Army Hightekhosting Greek Nationalist Serb Hellenic forums Greek Military Hellas Macedonian.com.au Ν.1 BLOG ΤΗΣ ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗΣ Ιστόχωρος του Πολιτιστικού Συλλόγου &quo Macedonia Greece Blogspot History of Macedonia